YMCA’s Youth Matters Awards is held every year to celebrate the transformational work YMCAs do, honour the young people who have made exceptional progress to say ‘thank you’ to the staff and volunteers that have made it possible.
This year’s awards are going to be bigger and better than ever before with more awards, celebrity guests, drink reception and performances from talented young people from across YMCA.
June Sarpong MBE will be presenting the event that will be attended by more than 250 YMCA staff, young people, donors and supporters. Last year’s event reached 20,000 people via its dedicated Facebook page, and more than 500,000 through its Twitter page, appearing in the national press and local press and achieving a reach of more than 200,000.
The Awards for 2016 are as follows:
- Young Achiever of the Year – recognises the exceptional achievements of a young person who has overcome significant obstacles to make a real difference to their own lives and their community
- Young Leader of the Year – recognises a young leader for their ability to make a real difference in their YMCA by bringing about positive change, working with vision and inspiring others
- Young Worker of the Year – recognises a young worker for their outstanding commitment to building a brighter future for young people and for going the extra mile to make a real difference to their lives
- Young Volunteer of the Year – recognises a dedicated young volunteer who has shown outstanding
commitment to YMCA and contributed energy, skills and time
- YMCA of the Year – recognises a YMCA that has delivered an innovative and inspiring local project, programme or scheme that has had a tangible and positive impact on young people and the wider community
- Best Project of the Year – recognises a YMCA which, in the last year, has delivered an innovative and inspiring local project that has had a tangible and positive impact on young people and the wider community
- Red Triangle Award – recognises the outstanding contribution made by an individual to the lives of young people and/or their communities over the last year.
YMCA Humber have had a tremendous record in the Youth Matters Awards in the past few years, winning YMCA of the Year for our Community Housing Project in Grimsby in 2013 and having Jon, a young person from our Foyer project get through to the final of Young Achiever of the Year in the same year.
The following year, Gary from our Foyer project was in the final of Young Worker of the Year and last year, Hannah from our Peaks Lane Housing Project also got through to the final for Young Worker of the Year with Peter, also from our Peaks Lane project being shortlisted for the same award.
If you would like to nominate someone from YMCA Humber for an award, please read the above guidelines and then email us or call 01472 359 621 ext. 405. Please ensure that the person is under 30 years of age (apart from the Red Triangle award, which is open to all) and provide some background information on why you think that person should be nominated for the respective award.